12.17.2004

Delayed Reaction

Caution! Upcoming rant on: Procrastination

Do you ever feel like the top of your dresser needs dusting? Do you ever have a sudden urge to clean under your bed, wash the dishes, or put up curtains? I'll bet you do if you have to study for an exam. Procrastination is in all of us. It comes out when we need it the least: study time, essay writing time, anything that has to do with getting work done time. But why? What is it that makes us forget about responsibility and worry about the dust bunnies under the bed?

Similar to the angel and devil on your shoulder duking it out theory, I believe there are two little guys in our heads battling it out. One is work ethic, one is apathy. Now, in some individuals, work ethic triumphs and you can work for long periods of time. In others, apathy is the winner and you find people in slumps or crappy lives. You could compare these to real people; in my case, they would be Urkel (work ethic), versus Evander Holyfield. Not such a good match-up, and I think unless Urkel goes to the gym and fast, it's not looking so good for Jam.

However, I prefer to say that my work ethic is David and my apathy is Goliath. Although in many cases apathy wins, work ethic can succeed, and I get some work done. Eventually I'd like them to switch, but for now, I'll deal, and hand apathy a slingshot.

Even right now, I should be studying for my exam tomorrow. Instead, you get a wonderful rant about procrastination (my second of the day, damn I'm good). I also tidied my room, watched the finale of The Apprentice, watched the entire season thus far of Lost, and ate far too much junk food. I have not, however, done laundry, written Christmas cards, wrapped Christmas presents, or done any real studying, all of which needs to be completed now. Hmm.. slingshot must be broken.

Well, I think I'll sit here some more, chat for no good reason, and then get an early night. Maybe tomorrow when I wake up early to study, Urkel will have invented an unbreakable slingshot for David, and we can take down those huge S.O.B.'s.

--Jam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home