12.16.2004

Me Versus Everyone Else

Caution! Upcoming rant on: Attack and Defense

Have you noticed that a lot of people, maybe even you at times, have an urge to point out that your roommate said something dumb, or that something your mom wore was totally last year. I find that today's conversations have went from simple talk to speaking in the offensive or in the defensive. Why is it that on any given day you have a confrontation with someone?

Maybe it leads back to ancient times when all people knew was war? People were just on the offensive in case there was war. Ya, right. Even in ancient Sumer or Rome or wherever, I'm sure that one villager could have a decent conversation with another villager. But maybe these villagers would still point out that their tattered cloths were uneven?

Where does our need and desire to attack another and have a confrontation stem from? If we can find the reason, maybe we can find the solution.

I believe it comes from our need to feel important. In a society run by celebrity and the media, our desire to feel above others does not seem uncommon. Why not want to feel above those around yourself? If you have the necessary information and qualities, then go for it.

However, this leads back to my rant on ignorance. Too many people who do not have the necessary education on certain topics are using too much "logic" and not enough knowledge. Logic can lead someone into an argument where, in actuality, they cannot win.

For example, a roommate of mine and I were playing DDR (best game ever) and she was trying a song with eighth notes. She called them "notes that are almost notes but not quite" and I said "those are the eighth notes." Because she believed eighth notes to be something else she argued with me. Even though I have 10 years piano. Even though I have 2 years teaching piano. Even though I play DDR so much I dream about the arrows in my everyday life. Even though she was wrong.

What led my friend to argue with me? It seems that over the past XXX number of years, we have decided what we know, and what we think we know. I believe if someone has a different standpoint on something, it should be embraced, rather than unincluded in your thought process. Don't go on the offensive or the defensive immediately when someone gives you criticisms or other knowledge. Realize your own intellect, then move forward in the conversation. If someone has you beat, shut up, and listen to what they have to say. Then we can all go back to ancient Sumer.

--Jam

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAMEN!!!!
~Heather

10:52 PM  
Blogger Maya said...

I was bored and I clicked and noticed you posted about DDR on my birthday! That kinda rocks.

I'm bored.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home