1.24.2005

Cat-eat-Cat World

Ola, my loyal fanerinos,

So I'm still in Hamilton, and still up later than both Leanne and Lisa. I shall go to bed shortly, but before I do, I have to mention the person who dared stay up with me. (I feel a rant coming on)

My Romeo.

Caution! Upcoming rant on: Cats.

Romeo, a cat of about 10-12 pounds, is currently laying beside me and licking his crotch. Hopefully he stops that soon... okay good. He's laying next to me on the couch, kinda tired, but stares up at me with such loving eyes. He mews every now and then to make sure I still know he's there, and so that he gets a little scratch under his chin, or a pat on the head.

Cats are very Machiavellian. They do what they need to, to get what they want. This alone I believe makes them more intelligent than dogs, but that is debatable. Dogs are said to have a better memory than cats, as they can remember tricks and little commands. However, is it possible that cats understand the commands, but why would a cat want to follow a command? One of the most independent animals to roam the Earth, a cat would never negotiate their integrity by sitting, staying, or shaking paws. My Sheba, back in Brantford, I taught to come and to gimme five, even though she is deaf. Although this is an obvious show of intelligence, especially since she is handicapped, Sheba is a very special case. Her integrity, as I call it, is never compromised, because Sheba is, well, dumb. But even the most stupid cat is still independent, still Machiavellian, still remarkable.

Those who like dogs better than cats I don't believe really understand why cats are so amazing. The ancient Egyptians used to worship the feline, in temples and iconic figurines. A civilization far ahead of its time, the Egyptians recognized that the cat was a symbol of power, of intellect, of grace, and of dignity. If a dog had roamed into an Egyptian temple, it would have been taught to guard the temple, or attack intruders. They would have never worshipped something that was so dependent on humans. Who would worship something like that? Only those who consider dogs to be "man's best friend," or as I like to say "man's dumbest disciple."

There are many reasons cats have been welcomed with open arms into millions of homes worldwide. They clean up after themselves. They can go to the washroom, unsupervised. They are independent. They warm you up at night (because you are also giving them warmth). They are loyal (you give them food). They are adorable.

In a sense, cats possess many of the ideals that humans wish they could have. Total independence, agility, and a completely relaxed way of life. The truth is cats are there when you want them, and we're there when cats want us. A give and take relationship, and a necessary one.

The cat will always be my favourite animal, my love, my Romeo.

--Jam


Romeo

1 Comments:

Blogger Maya said...

Cats rule. While dogs are cute I don't know if I could deal with the hyperness of one and would always prefer a cuddly fluffball. <3 Kitties are soo adorable.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home