2.28.2005

The 2005 Academy Awards: Disappointment and Enjoyment

Hey Everybody!

Instead of posting my predictions, I'm just going to post a rundown of the highs and lows of my fantastic Oscar Partay 2005:

Disappointment

Best Actress
The biggest shock of the night, in this Jam's opinion, was the Best Actress category. Both Annette Bening and Kate Winslet have been nominated numorous times before, and both deserve a Best Actress statuette. However, Hilary Swank, who won for a tremendous performance in Boys Don't Cry a while back, won again tonight for what is I'm sure a less tremendous performance in Million Dollar Baby. Frankly Hilary, boys DO cry, as I am right now. The Academy shocked and disturbed me with this choice, and my respect for their opinions dropped significantly.

Worst Choice
In the Original Song category, I chose "Believe" for The Polar Express, because the song was moving, from a gripping movie, with Josh Groban at the helm. I chose it in spite of hating Josh Groban. I validated my choice with the fact that it was for the greater good (me winning). It did not win, and I now feel dirty for picking it. Blech.

Worst Score
A friend at the party did not have a good time because she felt she did not fit in and was centred out for doing poorly on the ballot. I apologize that she feels this way, but one has to understand that it's all in good fun, and everyone had been doing badly, including the host. If you don't know enough about movies, then do some research, watch more movies. If not, then move on; it's not a big deal.

Enjoyment

Best Oprah
My favourite celebrity Oprah Winfrey was at the Oscars this year, and that always gets me excited. I love her to pieces, and my friends and I now have an inside joke about the thanking of Oprah if any of us ever win an Oscar. I'd do it.

Best Food and Drink
Leanne provided some yummy snacks, Jen brought some awesome cheesecake, and I played bartender. The food and drink at a party does not get better than that.

Best Oscar Party
The party was a complete success. I think my humour brought a little laugh to people when it was getting a little slow (which happens sometimes), Chris Rock did an excellent job, and everyone seemed to have a great time. I'm so happy for Nat and Heather who won the contest (12 of 24, not bad.. especially compared to my lousy 7). It was so great to see my friends in one room in a different context again but still having fun.

Can't wait for Oscars 2006!

--Academy Jam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home