6.03.2005

Top 100 Songs of All Time

Well, the list is finally complete! It took me a while, and a lot of organizing and reorganizing, but I managed to complete a list that is accurate to my taste and that I don't think I forgot anything. *crosses fingers*


Songs that didn't make it, but almost did.


103. Jimmy Eat World: Pain
102. No Doubt: Hella Good
101. Audioslave: Like a Stone


100-71.

The first 30 songs of my list are songs that have affected my life, that I love to listen to, but that I could probably live without.

100. Soundgarden: Black Hole Sun

99. Heart: Alone **This song was re-introduced to me during Carrie Underwood's earth-shattering performance this season on American Idol. I love it!

98. Chicago: Cell Block Tango

97. The Goo Goo Dolls: Iris **I had a disgruntled fan telling me that this should be further up the list. Well, you know what? Go suck on an orange. The song is fantastic, but I'd much prefer to listen to 96 other songs.

96. Bryan Adams: Cloud Nine **My mom's favourite song.

95. Spice Girls: Viva Forever

94. Mark Wills: Back at One

93. Frou Frou: Must Be Dreaming **This is the first of two entries by Frou Frou on my Top 100. I think if I was to do the top 100 bands of all time, they would definitely be in the race for number one.

92. Joan Osborne: What if God were One of Us? **As a happy agnostic, I'm allowed to listen to religious music without people thinking I'm a Christian nut.

91. Simon Wilcox: Mommies and Daddies **Probably the most unknown song by all on my list, this song was big last summer. It was played and replayed in the office and I think I love it because it has sentimental attachments to the great people I worked with last summer.

90. Keane: Somewhere Only We Know

89. Nina: ROM-eo & Juli8 **The newest song on my list, I heard this song this past weekend and fell in love. Download it if you can!

88. Nelly Furtado: Try

87. Tina Turner: Private Dancer **I've loved this song my entire life!

86. Mazzy Star: Into Dust **Maybe the saddest song I've ever heard, this became popular by the first season of The OC. You'd know it as the scene when Ryan finds Marissa unconscious in Tijuana.

85. Sarah McLachlan: I Will Remember You

84. Everclear: Wonderful

83. Savage Garden: I Want You **How does he talk so fast in this song? Boy howdy!

82. Celine Dion: It's All Coming Back to Me Now **One of the first CD's I bought, the power and intensity of this song make me adore it. As a bonus, it was before she was singing about her baby and going off the deep end. No dangling that child off a balcony, Celine.

81. Smashing Pumpkins: Tonight, Tonight

80. Darude: Feel the Beat **Electronic music has always found a way into my heart and soul, and Darude is a great example of an artist who can make techno that appeals to everyone.

79. Tatu: Not Gonna Get Us

78. Switchfoot: On Fire

77. Madonna: Die Another Day **Yes, even Madonna made my list.

76. Macy Gray: I Try **If you can say when this came out you weren't humming it after you had heard it, you're broken.

75. Crazytown: Darkside **One of my guilty pleasures is that I love select songs by Crazytown (remember? the lead singer had star tattoos on his chest.).

74. Audioslave: Shadow on the Sun

73. Janet Jackson: Together Again **My friends and I used to sing this song and replay it over and over. Ahh, the good ol' days with Janet.

72. Lenny Kravitz: Black Velveteen

71. Alison Krauss: Ain True Love


70-41.
These songs I love even more. They vary in style and content, but all are amazing works of art.

70. Evanescence: Hello

69. Maroon 5: Harder to Breathe

68. Sarah McLachlan: Fallen **As one of the best artists of all time, Sarah McLachlan made my list three times, only done by herself and one other musical talent. Can you figure out who?

67. Daniel Bedingfield: If You're Not the One **Lindsay, it's our song!

66. Spice Girls: Goodbye

65. Eric Clapton: My Father's Eyes **After looking through my favourite songs, I came to the realization that I'm a much bigger Clapton fan than I first thought.

64. Keane: Everybody's Changing **Keane is new-ish in the last six months or so, but they've made a lasting impression on me.

63. Kelly Osborne: One Word

62. Dannii Minogue: And I Begin to Wonder

61. Sarah Slean: Day One

60. Daft Punk: One More Time **The song that brought back techno. I bow to thee, the daftest punk.

59. John Mayer: Clarity **Ooooooh... Ooooooh! (those are the lyrics, obviously.)

58. Sonique: Another World

57. Salt N Peppa" Push It **One of the best things to come out of the 80's was Push It. You know you love it!

56. S Club: Natural **I'm embarassed to say I like S Club, but come on! This is one DAMN good song! Right? Right? Right.

55. Rick Astley: Never Gonna Give You Up **THE best thing to come outta the 80's.

54. Marly: You Never Know

53. No Doubt: It's My Life **This list could not be complete without the sonderful stylings of Gwen and her crew.

52. Shania Twain: Gonna Getcha Good **As a huge Shania fan, it was hard to pick a best song. But this isn't it.

51. Jennifer Saunders: Holding Out for a Hero **Yes I realize she didn't do the first edition of this song. Yes I realize this is from the Shrek 2 Soundtrack. Yes I realize this is SO DAMN AWESOME!

50. Faith Hill: Where Are You, Christmas? **The first of two Xmas songs to make my list. Let's not disclude them. Poor, poor Xmas songs.

49. Seal: Kiss From a Rose

48. Outkast: Ghettomusick

47. Bjork: I've Seen It All "My friend made it for me."

46. Savage Garden: Last Christmas

45. Revenge (DDR): Tsugaru **DDR (Dance Dance Revolution for you uncultured folk) has been a huge part of my life for the past year. I couldn't disclude its music, which truly is great, on this list. After much deliberation, I chose the crazy Tsugaru by Revenge.

44. Aqua: Turn Back Time **In grade 11 English we had to play our favourite song for the class. I played this. Ah, how times change.

43. Basement Jaxx: Oh My Gosh! **This song infiltrated our house like a disease. I played the video about a million times, which I know Heather loved, and I couldn't love the video more. It would, without a doubt, win the best music video of all time.

42. Daniel Belanger: Dans un Spoutnik **I believe it's the only non-english song to make the list. That's okay. If you're in space on a sputnik, it dunna matta!

41. Sting: Desert Rose


40-11.
The next 30 songs make me drool and I could listen to them day or night, any day or night. The closer to #1, the more drool. (gross, eh?)

40. Smashmouth: Walking on the Sun **When I did this list years and years ago, this was number one.

39. Gwen Stefani: What U Waiting For?

38. Eagle Eye Cherry: Save Tonight

37. Kylie Minogue: Can't Get You Out of My Head The sexy bombshell from down under, Kylie definitely has what it takes to make the list. I hope she makes it through her breast cancer like a trooper and makes more music to satisfy my need for it.

36. Delerium: Truly

35. Nelly Furtado: Explode

34. Ratatat: Seventeen Years **If you're thinking to yourself, "What's a Ratatat?", you don't read my blog enough.

33. Annie Lennox: Walking on Broken Glass

32. Jann Arden: Sleepless **I could probably do an entire list just on my favourite Jann songs, but I'll limit myself to this and one other for now.

31. Jennifer Lopez: Play

30. Jann Arden: Love is the Only Soldier

29. Bond: Explosive **Songs that don't have words are sometimes forgotten in a list like this. However, make no mistake. Bond is freaking amazing! Explosive is exactly that; an explosive song that appeals to everyone. I guarantee.

28. Enya: Caribbean Blue

27. Hard in Tango: This is My DJ

26. Spice Girls: Holler **Hopefully you've realized by now that the Spice Girls are the other that made my list three times. Holler will always be one of my absolute favourite songs because it's so upbeat and fun! Right Natalie?

25. Emma Bunton: Maybe

24. Britney Spears: Toxic **Everyone wants this to be played at a club. Everyone loves the video. Britney, you're doing a damn fine job.

23. Shania Twain: Still the One **This song made the world love Shania, both as a country artist and also as a fantastic performer.

22. Joan Osborne: St. Teresa

21. Nina Gordon: Tonight and the Rest of My Life

20. Eiffel 65: Move Your Body **I went to France in 2000 and bought this single. It always reminds me of my great experiences, great music, and my need to travel in the future.

19. The Corrs: Breathless

18. Sarah McLachlan: Adia

17. Missy Elliot: Get Your Freak On **One of the only songs on the list that is hip-hop-ish. Missy always did it for me, and her unique style of music really is the reason she is successful. If you don't give her credit for what she's done, maybe you should?

16. Queens of the Stone Age: Go With the Flow

15. Endorphin: Love is a Dancefloor

14. Daft Punk: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger **The highest ranked techno song on my list, HBFS is a fun and amazing bolero-like rendition that everyone should listen to.

13. Red Hot Chili Peppers: Otherside **Many people say this is the best song ever made.

12. Lara Fabian: The Dream Within

11. Iio: Rapture **I love this song so much that I'm making my house do a music video for it! Rock, rock on!


10-1.
My top ten are songs I adore with a passion and simply could not live without. I love singing to them, I love dancing to them, I love washing dishes to them, I love getting acid poured over me to them. They are just SO GOOD. The top five were so close that they could be easily rearranged, so you could call them all number one.


10. Sonique: It Feels So Good

9. George Michael: Careless Whisper **My absolute favourite song to do karaoke to!

8. Big Wreck: That Song

7. Laava: Wherever You Are **This song I loved on my own, until I realized that everyone else loves it too! If you don't love it already, you better download it and start the lovin', baby! It's also Steph and I's song!

6. Enigma: Gravity of Love **Even if you don't know this song, you know this song. It's been in so many movies and commercials because of it's epic quality.

5. The Rasmus: In The Shadows **Maybe the most contagious song you'll ever hear.

4. Frou Frou: Let Go **The song that sealed Garden State as a terrific movie. Let Go is a warm but upbeat song that makes you want to cry and go get a better job all at the same time.

3. Enya: May It Be **The Lord of the Rings trilogy was successful not only because of its filmatic qualities, but also because of its music. May It Be was the official song of the first movie and was even given an Oscar nod. In this Jam's opinion, it is the best slow song ever created. I'd love to make a music video to it someday.

2. Basement Jaxx: Good Luck **An empowering, disco-like song that you can't help but sing along to!

1. The Killers: Somebody Told Me **We finally made it to number one! I think if anyone listens to this song, they will love it! I've hardly met anyone who didn't enjoy it, and I don't believe them entirely. It combines electronica with rock with great vocals. The all-around best song ever!

Well thanks for reading my list! I know it was horribly long. Go get a snack. You deserve it.

--Jam the Music Man

5 Comments:

Blogger Athena said...

OooOooh, OooOOOOoooh...Yay. Good list. Go you.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG this list is SOOO long! But I do like a lot of the songs on it! Tell Oscar their hair smells like pizza!

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me?? Some good songs on there... but if you were only going to pick one song from Madonna why "die another day"? What about "vogue" come on!! It's a classic! Stike a pose!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many great artists are unfortunately deprieved from your list; may be they are only great to me; singers like Elvis, Andy Williams, Englebert, Jimmy Reeves, Clif Richard...Never mind you did a good job.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where is BEATLES THE GREATEST BAND of all time

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home