7.01.2008

Twenty-Three Years and I'm Going Off the Deep End

I look at other people, when they smile, and wonder what makes them so happy. Are they smiling in the same way I'm smiling, with a current joy and an overwhelming discomfort at other points of their day? Or are they truly content, laughing with the others who have figured it out?

I haven't figured it out. It is too complicated and I don't feel like I'll ever get to a point where it will unveil itself to me and I will finally feel as though I've mastered it. I'm a two-time college dropout; once for academic reasons, the other for financial reasons. I thought I had finally figured that part out until I ran out of money and wound up in a small apartment in Toronto, working in the furthest field from my own as I can fathom. I'm now as stuck as ever, working with people with no ambition, under people with little compassion, for a company with no creative drive. I am becoming the person I hate, with dying aspirations and an agonal hope for something better out of life.

Alas, I know what I want, but have no means to get it. With parents who refuse to help and have ostracized me for reasons undisclosed to me, I have, in the past, found financial refuge in my grandfather. Again, I have called out to him and am waiting for an answer. I feel like a failure, not able to simply continue up the ladder of any field that pays out a dollar. I need fulfillment. I need something to latch onto so I can feel as though I'm accomplishing something in life. I feel as though there's something inside me, something that should shine, but is being blinded by the darkness all around me.

I am thankful to have some terrific people in my life. Sarah, Athena, Natalie, Lindsay, Lilly, Michelle. Nameless, they would still know who they are. Yet, I fall to the sad conclusion that the latter two are going to school where I wish I was, the prior live outside the boundaries of my city of financial drive, so I am left with no one here, save the few acquaintances I have grown to accept and/or tolerate here.

So, do I find another job for the time being? What if I get into a job I also despise and am left with a situation worse than the one I'm in. (I can't possibly imagine that, but I suppose someone could pop the air mattress-of-a-life I've been sleeping on.)

I... just don't know what to do.

Yay emo blog.

--Jam

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, let's just say i rarely read your blog, but just decided to look @ it today...A)i'm excited because my name's in it! and B)hide the knives! lol, sounds to me like you're from Brantford...(it could be worse, you could be living IN brantford!) And don't worry about the air mattress, the only way you can pop it is by someone having a seizure on it! haha LOVE AND MISS YOU

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro, life's a crazy mess! The only thing I take as something constant is change. Things change and always will. Shit happens and things get fucked up, but always remember, you're alive and in a great country. Not truly fucked and living in say the middle east. And your friend is right, at least you don't live in Brantford. lol.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home