1.15.2008

u r so gr8!!!!

Hey, peeps and peepettes!

Something has been bothering me lately. It has come to my attention that there are a very small select few people on the planet who understand how to properly use language. I can't speak for the French, the Chinese - but as for the English, we, the literate, are few and far between the illiterate, instant messaging masses.

I'm not saying I don't use instant messengers, write emails, or write on Facebook. I do all of these things, but I do my best to convey my thoughts without degrading my own show of intellect. I admit that I have been warped to an extent. I use "lol" and other words that have become socially acceptable (gonna, whatcha, as examples), and only in the last year have I begun to use complete punctuation in instant messaging. This reaction, however, was in response to the overwhelming ignorance that was propelled in my direction by the vast majority of people I chat to.

if we all talkd like this the world wud stop functining cause no one wud no wat were talkin bout.

If that sentence hurt your brain, then you're doing well. I'm surprised I didn't have an aneurysm writing it. Close call, but I'm a trooper.

The motivation behind writing this post comes in a friend's "short story" that he posted on Facebook. This friend is fairly new and has always been one of those people to chat using the least amount of characters possible, for fear that his fingers will fall off from the over-exertion required to type full words. Here is an excerpt:

"every day i hope for a good day but that has not happened in a while, i wonder why though. it has to me! i feel so worthless it has got to be me thats the center of the bulls eye pain. i think to myself again, "but what have i done to myself to feel this way", i try and try to find a rason.is it because i am ugly?or is it that i am so stupid to see the facts right there in front of me? . . . " do i really need to happy? do i deserve to be happy? or what have i done to deserve to be happy"? its true i deserve nothing!" . . . all i had to do is open my eyes to the real world not the world that i had dreamed of which was a perfet world with nothing but happieness and goodness all around. the dream world as i would call it,was not a world but just a meer imagination of what my high expectations wanted it to be. for thoughs who expect more out of the world im sorry for your pain, just accept the dissapointment that the world has to offer and you will be happy in your life."

Okay. Let's talk about the subject matter first. Emo. The story is about a page long and deals with what seems like emotional turmoil followed by resolve and then, somehow, advice. No, you do not need to happy. Past the subject matter, we have everything else. The spelling, the grammar (or lack thereof), the punctuation (or lack thereof), and the pain in my brain. There's plenty of the latter.

I could go on and on about the story itself, but what bothers me more were the comments. His friends, many of his friends, said the following:

"its amazing ! :) loveee <3"
"i am amazed and you should be so proud those words come from the heart that makes it even more beautiful sad but beautiful hugs great job"
"wow just wow this is amazing. i can't even begin to tell how much talent you have. ive read writings from famous scholars and they are inferior compared to your writing. this is just amazing you are insanely talented"

Okay. Deep breaths. Before I continue, I just want to say that in no way am I trying to say he should not write. I'm not saying that the words were not heartfelt or that his friends could feel his emotion in them. What I am saying is they are retarded morons for telling him he's amazing. Especially that last guy! The last one goes to university! What famous scholars has he been reading that are inferior to that? Excuse me - cereal boxes and Christmas cards do not count as famous scholars.

Anyway, I just think if someone is going to write, they should be able to use the language better than a chimp, and should have something to say. Finally, give criticism that will help the writer actually get better - don't tell them they're better than scholars because then he'll just keep doing it!

Dear Jebus.

--jam luvs u

4 Comments:

Blogger Athena said...

dat wuz f****in sweat, yo.

Yeah, see, I tried, and I couldn't even write internet speak propperly. Look at that: a comma. I just can't do it.

Also, HOLY SHIT. I can't come up with anything useful to say right now, because either you've said everything that needs to be, or I'm just too shocked and awed to come up with anything new.

I'll see your 'dear' and raise you a 'sweet'

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just talking with a friend about the lack of language skills in our society these days! I'm tense after reading the post! haha (Ok! I use some Internet "words", but at least I can write a sentence most people can understand!!) As for the comments to the emo writer, are they real?!? Oh dear! I've just lost hope! :S

~Sarah

3:56 AM  
Blogger Maya said...

"i try and try to find a rason"

Rason - a long, loose, black gown with wide sleeves, worn by the clergy.

A rason would be very helpful.

I like my "lol", "tho" and occasional "cuz". However it does pain me that I use "tho" but for some reason that word is really long! Aah laziness.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post makes me so happy!!

You know our society is going downhill when GRADE 4 STUDENTS hand in a paper and actually use "lol", "ur" and "gr8".... and then wonder why it's wrong! haha

Yeah... it happens, and it hurts my brain!

~Nat

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home