10.30.2008

Musicgasm

Okay. I know I already posted today, but something happened.

I found Duffy.

Duffy is a Welsh artist, born the same year as me, and has a fantastic voice. She's best known for Mercy, a soulful song that has been compared to Amy Winehouse. I had heard it in clubs, but never really made any sort of connection.

Then I saw Rain on Your Parade.

Go watch.

In about two hours, I have developed a huge music obsession with both this song and with her. I listened to it for a good hour on Youtube, repeating it over and over, belting it out as I made bagels and tidied my room. I then looked for the mp3 on Limewire, only to find silly radio edits. So, being as obsessed as I (already) am, I converted the Youtube video to mp3. I had never done it before, but I learned, as I wanted it that badly.

Now, my friends will tell you that I seem to have somewhat of an obsessive personality. Heather can tell you how many times I listened to Oh My Gosh by Basement Jaxx. Lilly could easily point out my obsession with Feedback by Janet.

I don't think they compare to this. My computer might overheat.

What a way to go.

--Jam

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute! I can see why you like her hehehe. I bet your roomie will learn these lyrics pretty quickly just like I learned the lyrics to "Maybe" so fast hahaha.

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment is off-topic in most ways.

I stumbled across your blog somehow and, blog addict that I am, read voraciously. Congrats, first off, on chronicling your life in such a complete and honest manner. It was a good read.

As a fellow St. John's resident hailing from the mainland; as a student at Memorial; as a fellow oft-embittered member of St. John's' gay community, I'd like to impart a few words.

I've been here four years now.

When I first arrived, I was both enthused and skeptical, as I originally come from the West (and all its major-city delights).

Here I was, at the end of North America, trying to get educated and integrate into the community.

My first winter hit; snowdrifts were ten feet high by January. I experienced what I truly believe is the foulest weather in all of the Western Hemisphere: Slush up to the ankles in the streets, torrential rain being blown sideways by gale-force winds; well, you've seen it.

And my skepticism began to overshadow my enthusiasm.

The complete lack of a functional gay community got me down as well. At least from my perspective it was mired with closet cases, and filled with slimy, disingenuous guys, all of whom formed splinter factions rather than a unified community.

It was discouraging.

After my first year here, I wasn't the happiest young gay man around.

I left for sunnier climes for the summer, and found, to my surprise that I was missing this awkward little city.

When I came back, for whatever reason, I began to see it from a different perspective. The majority of people, while perhaps holding moral values that are stuck in a bygone time, are warm, genuine, and forgiving.

Things began to improve for me.

I met a boy; we fell in love. I'm still with him to this day. I credit it mostly with changing my attitude toward St. John's.

I still can't tolerate the winters, and I need to leave the province every few months to stay sane. I can't deny I don't plan on making St. John's my home. In spite, I love it in all of its quirky charm, and I likely always will.

All I'm saying is, despite its failings, the city will grow on you if it already hasn't, and things always get better.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jam said...

Uh, who are you, kind stranger? You have a similar back-story and can type in full sentences. I'm perplexed, if nothing else.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home