3.03.2005

Heterophobic

Howdy,

So I found myself chatting in gay.com today. I hadn't been in there in months, but I decided I might as well.

While avoiding jabs from my ex and scanning the list of tired OLD men, I noticed a conversation brewing about the fact that someone doesn't like straight people in Embassy, a gay club. He said that straight people cause fights, they want to take over the club and make it a straight one, etc etc.

So I decide to jump in, because this is ridiculous. I try to be rational, but quickly I realize that I have hardly have any backup! Everyone was agreeing with him, that straight people are bad and that they don't belong in a gay club. One person even said bad things would happen to gay people if they went to straight clubs.

I was so blown away by all this that I stopped chatting altogether. How can an entire group of people believe that another, much larger group can be bad? It has come to my attention that a lot of gay men are very heterophobic, which is something I didn't believe could exist. I believed gay people would be open minded especially about generalizations based on sexuality, and would be able to figure that they were incorrect. Apparantly I was wrong.

I think it's simply a lack of education and a hatred for those who ostracize gay individuals. However, anyone, gay or straight, needs to judge others on an individual basis; to do otherwise is ludacrious, and the way stereotypes are born.

Before you generalize a group of people, try to determine whether every individual is like that. If they're not, you're dumb and ignorant for thinking it. So don't, or I'll send some straight people to beat you up and cause a ruckus.

--Jam
Dedicated to fight ignorance since 1984.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home