9.23.2006

The Sad State

Hey ya'll.

So, as you know, or should know by now if you pay any attention, I'm addicted to YouTube. I have some blogs that I adore watching and hearing from, and it's just an entertaining pastime rather than numbing my mind with television and its commercials.

Recently, there was a very popular video-blogger on YouTube, LonelyGirl15. A sixteen year old girl, homeschooled, who posted about life and her friend and her parents and stuff like that. It was thoroughly interesting and compelling, but it all changed a week-or-so ago. There had been accusations that she was actually an actress, and that the entire series of videos was a gigantic hoax put on by a film company. It was revealed about a week ago that this was, in fact, true, but they didn't mean to cause any harm. In my opinion, I really don't care, but I won't watch her videos anymore because I go on YouTube to see real people in their lives, not something fake. If I wanted something manufactured, I'd watch the TV that I'm so strongly trying to avoid.

Anyways, my favourite YouTuber, LUCYinLA (I featured a couple of her videos a while back), is now starting to feel this, even though she really hasn't done anything to deserve it. She portrays herself as a struggling actress in Los Angeles, and that's who she is. Her name was shown to not be Lucy, but in fact Laura, but who cares? LUCYinLA is her screenname so that snoopy people, like those who decided to out her real name, wouldn't, like, stalk and rape her! They have went so far as to put her resume online, to say horrible things about her family, who appeared in one installment, and it's all just so disguting.

What is wrong with people today? Are we so far "cultured" that we think we can say whatever we want and accuse people of anything, no matter how vulgar and awful? This woman was producing entertaining videos that a large number of people truly enjoyed (she was one of the highest subscribed people on YouTube), and now she posted a video where she is almost in tears, she's so confused, and she will most likely (in my opinion) not continue making episodes.

I just have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that aches, not only for Lucy, but for society as a whole. I could never imagine being so heartless that I called someone names and ousted her identity and background just becase I could. It's filthy and worse than almost anything I can imagine, because it shows to me, oh-so-brightly, the steady decline of civilized manner in society. I see it everyday, but when it is shown in this light, to simply hurt and shatter a person, it makes me wonder what it is all for.

--Jam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home