7.19.2005

Homophobia: Is there a better waste of time?

Mornin people! I have a special surprise for you.

The return of the rant.

Thanks to a random comment by a "Mr. Big" on my blog this morning, I had the urge to rant.

Caution! Upcoming rant on: Homophobia.

So a person by the name of "Mr. Big" commented on my blog this morning on my Top 100 Songs post. It was basically him stating "Your list is gay, faggot", only I think less grammatically correct.

Anywho, obviously I just deleted it, but after giving it more thought, I realized how sad this person is. He's a random guy who does not know me (to my knowledge), and he goes on another person's blog and assaults them for no reason? He took the time to read my list and then comment on how bad it was, rather than moving on and spending his time more wisely.

Why would he do that? Do people really hate us damn queers so much that they'll go out of their way to offend them?

On this topic, this guy Travis I talk to had a pic in his MSN recently of a man with a huge sign that said something to the likes of "God hates gay people". I thought it was hilarious because it was so random. He told me he took the picture at London Pride. So that means someone went to the gay pride parade, which he did not want to be at because he obviously doesn't support anything homosexual, and stood there with a sign in the heat just so that people could make fun of him.

Now boys and girls, what is wrong with this scenario?

This also reminds me of the time before the gay marriage law passed in Canada. There were tons of Christian protesters who were going out of their way to distribute flyers, make special speeches and talks, and make sure that all those without an opinion had one: theirs. But why? Gay marriage doesn't affect them in any way but that they may have to see two men together someday. Heaven forbid! That's almost as bad as if a woman goes out with her friend shopping! They might be thought of as a lesbian couple because they're together! Run for the hills! Save the children!

The bottom line is homophobia is as ridiculous and unfounded as racism or any other prejudice. Human beings are human beings, and we need to start treating each other with respect. There will come a time when we will need one another, and if we have differences that we, for some reason, can't get over, we won't have one another to rely on.

To all the straight people out there who "support" gay rights, give yourself a pat on the back. Your opinions and backing are the most important, as the knowledge and tolerance you teach your children will change the way the world works, as we know it today.

To all of the homophobes out there, the gays are here to stay. They've won the battle here in Canada and they're here to get married, have children, and live a normal life. They are not here to bomb your house, steal your children, and attack the Pope (I know, I know. It's surprising).

Finally, to Mr. Big, who kindly commented a not-so-kind comment on my blog, look what happens when you show your homophobia. Something much more gay comes out of it, and I couldn't be more proud.

--Jam

2 Comments:

Blogger Athena said...

"Run for the hills!" That's the greatest thing that ever happened.

I don't know that it's any more reasonable to say someone can 'disagree' with homosexuality than it is to suggest they can 'disagree' with a particular race. You can't say "I disagree with you being black." I'm not trying to be confrontational to downtown sal; it's just not the type of thing that I think can be disagreed with by any person who is even remotely reasonable.

As for Mr. Big: You're gross and I'm alergic to you. Go crawl into a hole and die, you ignorant prick.

There. I think I did an okay job of being nice, given the circumstances. The end. Seacrest out.

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always have to wonder why some people are obsessed with someone else being gay or black or whatever. If you are comfortable with who you are, then who I am should not be a problem. It is when you are uncomfortable or unsure of yourself that you have to lash out at others ... the fear of someone being more like you than you care to admit.

I am a 45 year old gay man living with AIDS and who is Pagan. If someone is disturbed by that, then what skeletons in their closte are they trying to deny?

megastulmt@adelphia.net

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home