12.18.2005

The First Impression

Barbados is not what I expected. Architecture to allow the breeze to constantly caress one's weary travel-worn body is refreshing, but also allows for critters to co-exist in one's house; a concept most foreign to me. The roads are tiny and the direction of the traffic is reversed, leaving me in a state of readiness at all times. The locals are both nice and rude at the same time, and to be honest, I can't understand most of what they say.

When I saw the immense poverty gap, however, I realized it shocked me most of all. Shanty houses are integrated with stone mansions, and the white population here clearly dominates over the black. I suppose in Canada I'm used to a general equality that cannot be present everywhere.

The flight ended with a wonderful pressure-attack, brought to you by BWIA airlines and their crazy altitude drop. My left ear is still slightly clogged, but maybe I'll just use it to my advantage; maybe half of the time I can pretend I didn't hear what anyone said. "Talk into my good ear, sonny!" Good times.

My luggage was lost, somehow, on the way here. I have been in the same clothes for about 36 hours and frankly, I'm ready to change. The airport is searching high and low for my lost items, but somehow I think they are slacking. It seems as though this happens all the time and therefore that pastey white tourist *me* doesn't need his luggage to have fun. Wrong, pallyboy. So very wrong. I need my clothes and cleaning products or I will go mental. Going mental in a foreign country is probably a bad thing, but I digress. I guess I'm sort of getting the Survivor experience I so desire(d).

Today some of the stunning Gill clan came down for a visit. In my fatigue-ridden morning, I have noted a few things about the family:

First of all, the women, for the most part, are extremely affectionate. Even I received hugs on arrival at the airport, and I am not one of those mushy-gushy, touchy-feely people, but it was still cute. Kay, an aunt from Australia, is the kindest person I've probably ever met. She seems so interested in us and Canadal it's very refreshing. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Diane, a woman who at first seemed very nice and may actually be nice, was acting absolutely disgusting this afternoon. She judged everyone around her as if they were completely wrong and acted as though her age gave her some sort of significant power. Sorry hun, it doesn't.

--Jam

0 Comments:

<< Home