12.19.2005

The First Morning

The sun is finally peering into my window in a blue distant glow through the roll-up blinds and the brich-shaped bars. I've been awake for hours because I slept off my jet lag yesterday. I worry constantly about my luggage and about the fact that if I don't get it soon, I'll have to find some clothes to buy with the little money I've saved up.

Mom's gift rests in my lost suitcase and it makes me sad that I may not get to open it on Xmas day. I actually miss home and being around family and friends, rather than Loretta's family, who don't seem to be warming up to me at all. Who would have thought that I would miss the snow, the usual, and Brantford while in a tropical Barbados? A god with a sick sense of humour, that's who.

I'm starving, but they're going slow and steady when it comes to buying groceries. I had a roti (weird wrap thing) and a flying fish sandwich yesterday and both were amazing. Although food is expensive here, is really makes a lot of Canadian foods seem like vomit in a dish. But not only is the food expensive here. Since everything is imported, everything is overpriced. Batteries, for example, are said to be thirty dollars. Loretta said that the locals must ask "well, do I eat today or buy batteries?" As ridiculous as it sounds, it's very true.

The sounds of this morning are entertaining and relatively soothing. People have been walking past my bedroom, en-route to the bathroom and kitchen, for hours, yet I hear no talking. Since everyone went to bed by 6:30pm besides me and Loretta (who stayed up to an exhausting 9:30pm), I'd imagine the fam has been bored all morning like me. The birds have been chirping for hours. The must have heard me get up at 3am and decided to give me some back-up music. A group of dogs fall into a frenzy of barks and yelps every hour-or-so, assumedly at a falling leaf or moving cloud (dogs=stupid). Loretta's fan provides a soothing white noise to which reading becomes a relaxing morning allowance.

I finally hear voices (briefly) so I'm going to deoderize, brush my teeth, and read in the living room to wait for my first non-jetlagged day to begin.

--Jam

0 Comments:

<< Home