1.17.2006

Graze the Reaper

Hey people.

So today was a weird day. It started off like any other. I went to work, did some courses to better myself as a banker or something like that, and left with Sarah at 5 to head up to the movies to see Memoires of a Geisha.

We took the bus up and arrived very early, so we decided to get food at Licks. We were at the counter, ready to order, when a man runs up behind us and says "Someone help, she's choking." I freeze. Sarah freezes. A woman behind him is starting to gasp for air. A man runs from behind us and begins giving her the Heimlich. He does it two or three times and she yells in a faint voice, as loudly as she can, "Please, please!" I stand there helpless as he finally makes her cough up the large piece of onion that was lodged in her throat. She coughs for a long time and thanks him, and I stand there, with a very stunned Sarah, shaking.

It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life. I thought I was going to witness this woman, who was only in her 40's, die in a fast food restaurant because I didn't step up right away and help her, or because the man didn't actually know the Heimlich, or for whatever other reason that ran through my mind. I'm tearing just thinking about it. It terrifies me.

I can't even think of anything else to say, and everything else I had isn't important.

Cliff notes:

-The woman bus driver was a horrible person and made me angry because she was rude to me and talked on the phone while driving a bus in slippery weather.

-Memoires of a Geisha was phenomenal and will be hard to beat at the Oscars. I need to see Brokeback to judge, though..

--Jam

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

next time i'm chocking, i'll be sure to be specific when asking for help... "will someone besides jam please give me the heimlich!??!"

:P
Leon

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still shaking thinking about that poor woman! I cannot even bare to think of what could have happened...
As for the bus driver....did you notice she was still on the phone when I got off the bus?? She didn't open the door for a few people and I to get off...AND she almost ran me over when she went through the red light!!!!! I think we should report her!!!!
I hope tomorrow is a better day for the both of us! (and the poor woman with the tears in her throat from the onion)
-Sarah

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As bad as you feel and as horrible as it was to see someone choking, you can't blame yourself for not being able to act. Through no fault of your own, your body instinctively froze up. It was not a conscious decision on your part. When a persons body is confronted with a fear-inducing situation, it will do one of two things, it will fight or freeze. Yours froze. You shouldn't feel bad. Have a nice day!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home