2.15.2005

The State of the Oscar Garden

Hi Hi!

So it's noon-ish and I've again stayed up all night. I refuse to go to sleep this afternoon, and will just go to sleep like a normal person at a normal time. Maybe I'll become normal!.. yeah, probably not.

So if anyone's been keeping up on the Oscar Nominations, you'll probably have noticed a couple things:

1. "I've never seen/heard of those movies."

A lot of the films showcased this year seem to be movies no one has heard of, or those which people have heard of, but were compelled not to see. Hotel Rwanda is a mystery to me, Million Dollar Baby hadn't even been released until late January (so how it was nominated is beyond me), A Very Long Engagement gets a very long inquiry, and Sideways did horribly at the box office.

Now I understand the academy is supposed to find the best movies, even if they aren't well-known or popular. However, there were big box office hits this past year that were amazing (The Village, Garden State, Phantom of the Opera to name a few which most can agree on). But instead of any of these films being nominated for Best Picture, Sideways and Ray received nods, and it makes me ill. Sideways I have to see before I can critique, however the ads made it look dumb and dull. Ray is nominated simply to honour his life, but I don't believe the movie has the merit to win Best Picture. Why it's nominated is beyond me.

2. "Where the fart is Garden State?"
This may just be myself and the GS freaks, but in watching Garden State again today, I am blown away that they could not nominated it for at LEAST Best Cinematography. It deserves much more than that, including Best Actress Natalie Portman, and Best Picture, above others.

It almost pains me to think that the Academy, and I would imagine some people, do not see the greatness in Garden State. For a movie to be that visually appealing, and have such an interest plotline, and not get recognition is ridiculous.

If I didn't love the Oscars so much, I'd boycott! I swear!

--Jammy Jam Jam

1 Comments:

Blogger Paixão said...

i have to agree about this whole garden state thing. its for sure one of the better movies of the year. maybe cause finally zach didnt follow the dorm with these stupid movies that just all seem to be the same lately. but on the good note zach also has done the soundtrack and won a grammy for that. maybe the oscars will catch up soon enough to the less commercialized things and realize what people actually like out there?

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home