1.31.2006

The Best and Worst Movies of 2005: #1

The Best Movie of 2005

Brokeback Mountain



Synopsis
Two young men fall in love during a summer herding sheep. The film documents the individual trials each faces, the struggles of pre-modern day love, and the lengths each will go for the other.

Why I Chose It
This movie showed the strongest bond of love, either heterosexual or homosexual, that I have ever seen portrayed in a film or otherwise. You feel compelled to want their relationship to work out, even if it comes at the cost of other relationships. It is definitely a film that utilizes the human desire for love and companionship.

The musical score was very accurate to each scene and the sets and costumes were accurate to the time period. The acting, though, is what made this film. Michelle Williams and Jake Gyllenhall were great supporting actors, portraying individual characters that blind their real personas. Heath Ledger, the best of the group, was emotional, convincing, and displayed by far one of the best performances on screen that I have ever seen.

Lastly, this film really deals with issues that are hardly talked about, even beyond the homosexual "controversy" that surrounds it; love for more than one person and holding to stereotypical boundaries are amongst them. Overall, this film is definitely the best of the year and deserves every award it gets and every it does not.

Possible Oscar Nominations
Best Art Direction
Best Original Score
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Original Song: "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" by Emmylou Harris
Best Director: Ang Lee
Best Supporting Actor: Jake Gyllenhall
Best Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams
Best Supporting Actress: Linda Cardellini
Best Actor: Heath Ledger
Best Picture


**Yes, I realize the Oscar nominations have already been released as of now, but these were my predictions before they came out. I have a feeling a certain loser was going to point that out, so I pointed it out for him.**


The Worst Movie of 2005

Kingdom of Heaven



Synopsis
Crusades bla bla.. Jerusalem... bla bla fighting. BLA.
*I blocked it out.*

Why I Chose It
Kingdom of Heaven is quite possible the worst movie I've ever seen.. maybe even the worst movie ever made. Reasons:

The acting was terrible. Orlando was never that great, but in this film he stopped acting and just sort of "tried" to act. His character and his portrayal were boring and not convincing, leaving me tired of him for all eternity. All other actors in this film, including that chick who I loathe enough to not look up her name, were not worthy of a name in the first place.

The script was predictable and uninspired. The lines were Riddick-bad or maybe worse. The way they were said was even worse than the words themselves, but I already talked about that.

Every aspect of this movie was terrible, except the ending, because it ended the film. It was horrible boring, and could even be called time consuming, because the time you consume is definitely time you will want back. I want those three hours back. Do NOT see this movie and check if I'm right. You will regret it.

Possible Oscar Nominations
If this was to get a nomination, I would boycott the Oscars. Forever.


I hope you all enjoyed my top films! If you didn't agree with me, tough cookies. I'll be doing an Oscar prediction list very soon, so stay tuned for that! Jam out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I saw Kingdom of Heaven. While I'm not sure I agree that it was the WORST film I've ever seen, it definitely wasn't great. I also would not recommend this movie to anyone. It's boring, and forgettable.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well we made it! 54321.
i didnt see kingdom of heaven, so i guess i shouldnt comment :)

for brokeback mountain, or bareback mountain as most people refer to it as, i do agree that it was a great movie. it has also become the laughing stock of late night talk shows around the world.

it was a great movie, but not nearly as good as you make it out to be! They could have moved things on quite a bit faster to maintain the interest of anyone who wasnt watching the movie purely for the novelty of it being a gay movie. if this was a guy and a girl, i have no doubt (deny if you like) that it would not have been rated as highly by you :)

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home